- McKahan Planning Group, Del Mar, CA - Founder and Principal.
- Lennon Associates, Del Mar, CA - 1989/1993, Facility Planner and Consultant.
- Davis Partnership Architects, Denver, CO - 1973/1989, Architect and Principal.
- University of Colorado at Denver, Master of Architecture, 1989.
- Kansas State University, Bachelor of Architecture, 1973.
- Board Certified in Healthcare Architecture, FACHA
- Licensed Architect, California.
- President (1998) AIA/ Academy of Architecture for Health.
- Board of Regents: American College of Healthcare Architects
- American Society for Healthcare Engineering
- International Health Futures Network
Planning, Design & Construction of Healthcare Environments, , Chapter 1: Current Trends and Future Forecasts, JCAHO, Environment of Care Book, 1997.
Top 10 Ways to Plan a Successful Hospital. M.P.G. Monograph, 1996.
Healing by Design, Interior Design Magazine, August 1993.
Educational Videotapes by Donald McKahan, Planning the Hospital of Tomorrow and Healing by Design, available through Brighton Books.
The Healing Environment of the Future, Healthcare Forum Magazine.
Televised interview for ABC’s, Health Show, "The Future of Hospitals".
Thesis Research, A New Architecture for Healthcare: University of Colorado at Denver.